Is it not amazing that, when we look into the mirror, what we see reflected there does not always match the reflections that others see when they look at us? We must take time to recognize that sometimes we fail to realize things about ourselves, & accept them when others confront us with them. Conversely, we must also recognize that sometimes other’s perceptions of us may be inaccurate, or skewed by their own personal belief systems & self-esteems.
It is through much prayer and introspection that I am able to ascertain the realities of who I am. Thankful that I have the ability to change what I desire about myself, I pray to be able to delete the negatives without destroying the positives.
Today I shall commit to try to:
* Disagree without being disrespectful;
* have an opposing opinion without judging;
* love without demanding;
* accept others without acquiescence of my own beliefs;
* hold fast to my self-respect, no matter what others may throw at me;
* speak my own truth without wavering;
* depend upon those I love without sacrificing my independence;
* listen to others without allowing them to make me question what is true, right & just;
* walk with my head held high because I am a unique person, but without losing my humility;
* be kind to all who cross my path, regardless as to whether or not they are kind to me;
* strive for excellence in myself, but knowing that perfection is impossible;
* remember that all people are flawed & imperfect, as that is the essence of humanity, & make allowance for their imperfections;
* find a source of courage to sustain me when I am afraid;
* pray for certainty to replace the nagging doubts of disillusionment;
* believe that disappointment is often a Divine appointment;
* reach out rather than retreat;
* stay the course when the going gets rough;
* recognize that some things are just meant to be, while others are just not meant to be;
* refuse to cry over spilled milk, as tears do not make more milk;
* stand my ground when I am back up against a wall, knowing that God will make a way;
* refuse to fight if it is not in my best interest, as senseless fighting is a waste of energy;
* relinquish my past to the place where it belongs, which is behind me;
* realize that not every battle has to have a victor, that some battles were not intended to be won or lost;
* to trust whenever doubting makes no sense, but to trust the ability to doubt when trusting makes no sense;
* allow my heart the space it needs to heal without isolating it from those who would love it;
* plant seeds in the scorched earth, believing that the harvest will indeed be fruitful;
* empty my hands of past hopes, dreams, resentments & hurts in order that I may stretch them forth & grasp this day’s blessings;
* find life lessons in daily trials & tribulations & learn from them;
* go easy on myself when I fail at one or more of these things, knowing that failure is as inevitable in life as the sunrise.
Today, take a look into the mirror, and compare the image you find there to the reflections that others see. Commit to change the dark shadows of your soul into light. Commit to being the best you that is possible!